A report which compares rail station usage, for each and every station by line or route for April 2021 to March 2022.
- Rail station usage in 2021-22 (1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022) increased to 29.0 million from 8.7 million in the previous year (2020-21). However, it remained considerably lower than the 50.4 million recorded during 2019-20 (prior to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- The total number of station entries and exits in Wales more than tripled between 2020-21 and 2021-22 (from 8.7 million to 29.0 million) reflecting the easing of travel restrictions imposed as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Rail station usage remained below pre-pandemic levels, with usage in 2021-22 42% lower than in 2019-20.
- In 2021-22, there was an increase in the number of entries and exits at all stations across Wales compared to the previous year.
- Cardiff Central remains the busiest station in Wales accounting for over a quarter of all station entries and exits.
- Rail station usage in Wales accounts for around 1.6% of the UK total.
Further detailed information is available through our rail station dashboard, tables can be found on StatsWales.
Rail station usage: April 2021 to March 2022 , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.