Estimates of research and development expenditure by businesses in UK countries and English regions for 2019.
This is not the latest release in the series: Research and development expenditure
The report does not cover the period of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- In 2019, business expenditure on R&D (BERD) for Wales was £442 million, up 2.8% on the figure for 2018.
- This represented 1.7% of the UK total.
- The 2.8% increase was the second lowest increase of all 12 UK countries and English regions.
- For the UK, business expenditure on R&D increased by 3.3%.
- The level of BERD in Wales can be influenced greatly by a small number of individual projects commencing or ending in a period. The BERD series for Wales is therefore quite volatile and so a longer-term perspective is recommended.
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9010
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.