The overall aim was to review the need for and outline a specification for one or more self-diagnostic tools for managers in Wales.
This is the latest release
The project had 3 objectives:
- to undertake research with small and medium enterprises (SMEs) to gain an understanding of their awareness, use and requirements of a diagnostic tool
- to research and review the current diagnostic tools against the requirements identified during the work programme, producing an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of existing tools
- if supported by the research programme, to produce recommendations for the development of a self-diagnostic leadership and management tool.
The work programme for the project consisted of:
- face-to-face interviews with 26 ‘key informants’ from ELWa, Welsh Assembly Government, WDA, Education/training sector and a number of other bodies (including representative bodies for businesses, private sector business advisers and consultants, SSDA)
- desk research to review a wide range of reports and existing tools addressing management/leadership issues
- an initial group of telephone interviews with 53 SME owner/ managers within Wales
- developing a draft specification for a possible self-diagnostic tool
- reviewing the draft specification with individual SME owner/ managers, and in 3 focus groups
- finalising a specification for a management/leadership self-diagnostic tool, and making recommendations for how it might best be developed and used.
Initial conclusions concluded confirmation that – despite a very large number of tools which look at all-organisation and personality-specific issues – there are currently very few tools which genuinely address the needs of SME owner/ managers seeking to identify their management/ leadership strengths and weaknesses.
Review of self diagnostic tools for managers, June 2004 , file type: PDF, file size: 195 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.