The Rhigos junction will connect Hirwaun, Rhigos road, A4059, Tower road and the A465.
What we’re doing
- archaeological investigations
- laying temporary road
- moving utilities
- installing culverts
- laying new road
- building bridges
We will raise the road to cross over the new junction and will build a bridge between the roundabouts.
We will re-align the A4061 Rhigos road for the new layout.
We will build a bridge to allow the A465 to pass over the Nant y Bwlch watercourse east of the junction.
We will build a road east of the Rhigos junction to take it away from the existing A465. This will pass south of the Hirwaun welfare ground and re-join the existing A465 at Trewaun.
We will build a temporary road to create space to construct the permanent road.
- cleared vegetation
- carried out archaeological investigation works
- moved initial utilities services in the area
- built new eastbound slip road and diverted traffic temporarily on to it.
- constructed new culverts (tunnel structures for water drainage)
- Spring 2023 start building the second roundabout and the reconstruction of Rhigos Road
- building more new culverts , moving utilities and putting up fences
- build the new bridge over the junction and create the new road embankments