Data on sickness absence rates for directly employed NHS staff for October to December 2019.
In response to the current COVID-19 pandemic, we are collecting additional and more timely data on sickness absence. This has not been included here as this report only covers the period up to the quarter ending 31 December 2019. This additional data is NHS Wales management information; it is not collected on the same basis as that published in this quarterly release and is not currently considered robust enough for publication. Information on coronavirus and NHS activity and capacity is published in a weekly update.
- Sickness absence was 5.9%, up 0.4 percentage point from the same period in 2018.
- The Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust had the highest sickness absence, 7.5%.
- Health Education and Improvement Wales Special Health Authority had the lowest sickness absence, 3.1%.
- The staff group with the highest sickness absence was the Healthcare Assistants and other support workers staff group, 8.6%.
- The staff group with the lowest sickness absence was the Medical and Dental staff group, 2.1%.
Sickness absence in the NHS, October to December 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 562 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.