Skip to main content

Number of housing units owned or partly owned and managed by all social landlords as at 31 March 2018.

This includes the 11 local authorities who retain stock and all Registered Social Landlords (RSLs). It will cover social and non social housing.


  • There continued to be a slight increase (1%) in social housing in Wales. There were 230,044 social housing units at 31 March 2018 compared with 228,805(r) a year earlier.
  • Of these 230,044 social housing units, RSLs owned 62% and local authorities owned the remaining 38%.
  • At 31 March 2018, a further 15,296 other non social housing units were owned or partly owned by social landlords. Of these 99% were owned by RSLs.

(r) 2016-17 data has been revised since previously published.


  • The average weekly rents set by local authorities at 1 April 2018 for 2018-19 for all self-contained social housing (including general needs, sheltered, other supported and extra care housing) was £89.35. This is an increase of 6% compared to the previous year.
  • The corresponding average weekly rent set by RSLs for 2018-19 was £91.16. This is an increase of 5% compared to the previous year.
  • The gap between local authority and RSL average weekly rent levels has been generally closing in recent years.


Social landlord housing stock and rents, as at 31 March 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 924 KB

924 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.


Datasets and interactive tools


Judith David

Telephone: 0300 025 5055

Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.


Telephone: 0300 025 8099

Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.