Skip to main content

Number of housing units owned or partly owned and managed by all social landlords as at 31 March 2019.

This includes the 11 local authorities who retain stock and all Registered Social Landlords (RSLs). It will include social and other types of housing.


  • There continued to be a slight increase (1%) in social housing in Wales. There were 231,413 social housing units at 31 March 2019 compared with 230,017(r) a year earlier.
  • Of these 231,413 social housing units, RSLs owned 62% and local authorities owned the remaining 38%.
  • At 31 March 2019, a further 15,508 other housing units were owned or partly owned by social landlords. Of these 99% were owned by RSLs.

(r) 2017-18 data has been revised since previously published.


  • The average weekly rents set by local authorities at 1 April 2019 for 2019-20 for all self-contained social housing was £92.26. All self-contained social housing includes general needs, sheltered, other supported and extra care housing. This is an increase of 3% compared to the previous year.
  • The corresponding average weekly rent set by RSLs for 2019-20 was £93.77. This is also an increase of 3% compared to the previous year.
  • The gap between local authority and RSL average weekly rent levels for 2019-20 was the smallest recorded to date at just £1.51.


Social landlord housing stock and rents, as at 31 March 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 840 KB

840 KB
If you need a more accessible version of this document please email Please tell us the format you need. If you use assistive technology please tell us what this is.


Datasets and interactive tools


Judith David

Telephone: 0300 025 5055

Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.


Telephone: 0300 025 8099

Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.