Number of housing units owned or partly owned and managed by all social landlords as at 31 March 2022.
This is the latest release in the series: Social landlord housing stock and rents
This includes the 11 local authorities who retain stock and all Registered Social Landlords (RSLs). It will include social and other types of housing.
Note that, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, data on social landlord housing stock for 2019-20 and rents for 2020-21 are incomplete. See the COVID-19 and the production of statistics and social research statement for further information.
- There continued to be a slight increase (just under 1%) in social housing in Wales. There were 237,395 social housing units at 31 March 2022 compared with 235,399 (r) in the previous year.
- Of these 237,395 social housing units, RSLs owned 63% and local authorities owned the remaining 37%.
- At 31 March 2022, a further 15,479 other housing units were owned or partly owned by social landlords. Of these 97% were owned by RSLs.
(r) 2020-21 data has been revised since previously published.
- The average weekly rents set by local authorities at 1 April 2022 for 2022-23 for all self-contained social housing was £99.20. All self-contained social housing includes general needs, sheltered, other supported and extra care housing. This is an increase of 3% compared to 2021-22.
- The corresponding average weekly rent set by RSLs for 2022-23 was £101.04. This is also an increase of 3% compared to 2021-22.
- The gap between local authority and RSL average weekly rent levels has narrowed in recent years. For 2022-23 the average weekly rent set by RSLs was higher by £1.84.
Social landlord housing stock and rents: as at 31 March 2022 , file type: PDF, file size: 816 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.