Data on medical, dental, nursing and midwifery staff, as at 30 June 2022.
Between 30 June 2021 and 30 June 2022 (in terms of full-time equivalent numbers)
- The total number of staff increased by 2,505 (2.8%) to 90,788
- Medical and dental staff increased by 300 (4.1%) to 7,578
- Nursing, midwifery and health visiting staff increased by 90 (0.3%) to 36,020
- Other staff groups increased by 2,115 (4.7%) to 47,190.
- Staff headcount increased by 2,566 (2.5%) to 105,357.
Data has been published on StatsWales. There is no statistical release.
The number of health visitors has decreased since 31 December 2021. This is largely due to an administrative issue in Hywel Dda health board where a number of health visitors appear to have been recorded as community nurses. The health board are working on a solution and an update will be provided in the next quarterly release. The overall number of registered nursing staff are unaffected by this issue.
This data has some seasonal patterns. Medical and dental, and nursing staff numbers tend to decline in the period up until August and then increase from September as graduates start. As such, comparisons are made with the same quarter from the previous year.
Over recent years a number of data quality issues have been identified with the data. Full details are provided in the quality report.
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.