Data on medical, dental, nursing and midwifery staff, as at 30 September 2018.
This is not the latest release in the series: Staff directly employed by the NHS
A number of data quality issues have been identified with the data for this release. This mostly affects some of the more detailed staff breakdowns. Full details are provided in the statistical report.
Between 30 September 2017 and 30 September 2018 (in terms of full-time equivalent numbers)
- The total number of directly employed NHS staff increased by 1,084 (1.4%) to 79,054.
- Medical and dental staff increased by 156 (2.4%) to 6,539.
- Nursing, midwifery and health visiting staff decreased by 47 (0.1%) to 32,927.
- Scientific, therapeutic and technical staff increased by 406 (3.2%) to 13,206.
- Administration and estates staff increased by 511 (2.9%) to 17,895.
- Other staff increased by 46 (0.7%) to 6,392.
Staff directly employed by the NHS, 30 September 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 707 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.