Data on medical, dental, nursing and midwifery staff, as at 30 September 2019.
This is not the latest release in the series: Staff directly employed by the NHS
Between 30 September 2018 and 30 September 2019 (in terms of full-time equivalent numbers)
- The total number of directly employed NHS staff increased by 1,990 (2.5%) to 81,044.
- Medical and dental staff increased by 153 (2.3%) to 6,693.
- Nursing, midwifery and health visiting staff increased(r) by 373 (1.1%) to 33,301.
- Scientific, therapeutic & technical staff increased by 571 (4.3%) to 13,777.
- Administration and estates staff increased by 792 (4.4%) to 18,687.
(r) Revised 02 March 2020
A number of data quality issues have been identified with the data for this release. This mostly affects some of the more detailed staff breakdowns. Full details are provided in the statistical report.
Alongside this annual report we are publishing for the first time quarterly staffing data from December 2018. This data will be published quarterly going forward to better meet the needs of users with timelier data.
Staff directly employed by the NHS, 30 September 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 685 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 6735
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.