The report presents figures on the student support awarded to applicants and paid to students or their Higher Education Provider for September 2017 to August 2018.
This is not the latest release in the series: Student support for higher education
Main results for academic year 2017/18 (final)
- 74,000 student support scheme students in Wales were receiving support in 2017/18.
- The final amount of student support awarded in 2017/18 was £951.9m, an increase of 9% on 2016/17.
- A total of £127.9m was awarded in Welsh Government Learning Grant, unchanged from 2016/17.
- 57,400 students were paid Maintenance Loans, which amounted to £274.0m, compared to 57,400 students paid £238.6m in 2016/17.
- Higher Education Institutions were paid Tuition Fee Loans amounting to £223.6m, on behalf of 57,100 students domiciled in Wales and EU domiciled students studying in Wales.
- £268.0m of Tuition Fee Grant was paid.
- £28.2m of Postgraduate loans was paid.
Latest loan take-up rates, for academic year 2016/17
- An estimated 94.9% of eligible students took out a Maintenance Loan.
- An estimated 95.2% of eligible students took out a Tuition Fee Loan.
Telephone: 0300 025 9528
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.