The occupancy surveys provide trend information on the demand for tourist accommodation in Wales for April to June 2023.
This Accommodation Occupancy report provides information on the occupancy levels of serviced and self-catering accommodation, as well as hostels and camping/caravan sites y. There is also third-party data from Transparent (short term lets), and STR Global (large hotel chains).
- Occupancy has risen steadily throughout 2023.
- Quarter 2 - April, May, and June - show consistently higher occupancy figures than January to March.
- All regions have shown similar increases in occupancy levels.
- Smaller properties (1 to 3 rooms and 4 to 10 rooms) have shown a large increase in occupancy levels.
- Hotels achieved 71% occupancy.
- STR hotels have shown growth from Q1 (73%) to Q2 (78%).
- There is less variation across regions in terms of occupancy levels and prices though North Wales has marginally higher occupancy (86%), while the South East has higher ADR (£82) .
- 16% increase in occupancy from Q1 to Q2 (66% occupancy).
- There is wide regional variation in self catering occupancy.
- The South West largely outperform other regions (75%).
- 11 Bed properties or higher outperform smaller properties in this category.
- Businesses which are part of an agency or collective group achieved 69% room occupancy – higher than Independents (54%).
- The South East (63%) and South West (60%) continue to be the better performers and by a slightly larger margin than seen in Q1.
- There is little regional difference although of note is how South West has the highest occupancy for Short term lets via the WAOS (75%) and Transparent (63%).
- Compared to pre-COVID data reported in the Wales Accommodation Occupancy Survey: 2019 hostel occupancy compares somewhat favorably, with Q1 2019 occupancy the same at 36% but Q2 2019 occupancy at 60%, with Q2 2023 down 9% on 2019. levels at 51%.
Camping and caravan
- Overall the sector appears to be performing strongly in comparison with other sectors (average 76% occupancy).
Wales tourism accommodation occupancy surveys, April to June 2023 , file type: PDF, file size: 898 KB
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.