Skip to main content

When and how you can appeal against a water abstraction and impoundment licence decision.

First published:
10 February 2020
Last updated:

When you can appeal

Natural Resources Wales (NRW) makes decisions about water abstraction and impoundment licences. Appeals can be made against:

  • abstraction and impoundment licences,
  • abstraction transitional licences,
  • relevant projects with environmental impact assessments.

You can appeal against a water abstraction or impoundment licence decision if you made the original application to NRW. You can appeal if either:

  • you disagree with it
  • the decision was not made within 3 months

There's no fee for appealing.

Deadline for appealing

Your appeal must be received within 28 days of receipt of NRW’s decision.

When you can expect a decision

Once your appeal has started, you should get a decision within 14 weeks but it can take longer.

How to appeal

Please fill in the appeal form.

You’ll also need to submit copies of the following documents:

  • the relevant application,
  • any supporting documents submitted to NRW,
  • NRW’s decision notice,
  • any relevant correspondence with the local planning authority,
  • any other documents including maps and plans which are relevant to the appeal.

You can make your appeal by post or email to the Planning Inspectorate.

The Planning Inspectorate
Crown Buildings
Cathays Park
CF10 3NQ

If you want to appeal more than one decision you must make a separate appeal for each.

Send a copy of your appeal, including all the supporting documents, to NRW.

After you appeal

The Planning Inspectorate will check your appeal to make sure it’s valid. They’ll tell you what happens next and how long your appeal may take. The appeal guidance contains more details on the appeal procedures.

If you disagree with the appeal decision

You can complain about how the Planning Inspectorate handled your appeal. There’s no time limit for complaints.

You can challenge the decision in the High Court if you think the Planning Inspectorate made a legal mistake.

Get advice from a lawyer if you’re unsure about this.