Data on goods exported to destinations outside the UK for July 2018 to June 2019.
This is not the latest release in the series: Welsh international goods trade
- The value of exports for Wales for the year ending June 2019 was £17.7 billion, up £1.1 billion (6.8%) compared with the same period the previous year.
- 9 of the twelve UK countries and English regions had increases with the Scotland having the largest increase (up 14.5%), compared with the year ending June 2018. The largest decrease was seen in the West Midlands (down 4.8%). Wales saw the fifth largest increase.
- There was an increase in exports to EU countries of £577 million (5.7%) and an increase in exports to non-EU countries of £549 million (8.6%), compared with the year ending June 2018. Exports to the EU accounted for 60.7% of Welsh exports compared with 49.5% for the UK.
- Germany continued to be the top export destination accounting for 17.0% of exports, down from 19.9% compared with the year ending June 2018.
- Exports from Wales continued to be dominated by ‘Machinery and Transport Equipment’ which made up 49.3% of exports.
The data above relates to exports of goods. Experimental statistics produced by the Office for National statistics suggest that service exports make up approximately 30% of total exports in Wales.
Following quality assurance and checking procedures, HMRC revised the Overseas trade in goods figures in August 2019. These corrections have now been applied to the Regional Trade in Goods Statistics for the periods 2013 to 2017 resulting in minor changes for Wales. Further information is available on the UK Trade Info website.
Welsh exports, July 2018 to June 2019 , file type: PDF, file size: 822 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9016
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.