Kirsty Williams, Cabinet Secretary for Education
In August 2016 I announced the establishment of a task and finish group to review the activities of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol and to make recommendations on the way forward. The review would inform future policy and budget decisions regarding the Coleg.
As part of its terms of reference, the group would explore the potential expansion of the remit of the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol to include further education, in response to a commitment within Taking Wales Forward, the Welsh Government’s programme for the next 5 years.
The report of the task and finish group is published today. It is a thoughtful and constructive contribution to the development of Welsh-medium study across the post-16 sectors, particularly within the context of our Diamond and wider tertiary education reforms, and emphasis on greater university-school engagement.
We will respond in full to all recommendations in due course.
In the meantime, we would like to express our gratitude to the chair, Delyth Evans and the following Members of the task and finish Group for all their work in producing the report and the recommendations:
- Barry Liles, Principal Coleg Sir Gar
- Heledd Bebb, Previously a lecturer for the Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol, now a Director of OB3 Research
- Bethan Guilfoyle, former head teacher of Treorchy Comprehensive School
- Rhun Dafydd, nominated as a student representative by NUS Wales
- Professor Mari Lloyd-Williams, Lecturer at the University of Liverpool
- Professor Noel Lloyd, former Vice-Chancellor Aberystwyth University.
This statement is being issued during recess in order to keep members informed. Should members wish me to make a further statement or to answer questions on this when the Assembly returns I would be happy to do so.