Rt. Hon Carwyn Jones, First Minister of Wales
The timetable outlining the steps to make regulations for the first set of standards were announced in October 2013. I am pleased to announce that, in accordance with that timetable, the regulations will be prepared in draft form by November 2014.
I would like to thank the Welsh Language Commissioner for submitting her reports following her standards investigation concerning the Welsh Ministers, Local Authorities and National Parks. She produced 3 separate reports on these sectors, as well as an advice note, under Section 4 (2)(j) of the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011.
Having given careful consideration to the Commissioner’s advice note, we will hold a 4 week consultation in November 2014. This will affect the timetable previously outlined for standards investigations 2 and 3. Following discussions with the Commissioner, the following timetable sets out the main steps, so that the organisations subject to the Commissioner’s first and second standards investigations are clear about when the regulations will be made. Following that, the Commissioner will be able to issue Compliance Notices to the organisations stating what standards they must comply with and from what date.
- Welsh Government to consult on draft regulations for the first set of standards – November 2014
- Vote to approve regulations for first set of standards during National Assembly Plenary – March 2015
- Welsh Language Commissioner to begin standards investigation for set 2 – November 2014
- Welsh Language Commissioner to submit standards investigation report for second set of standards – May 2015
- Welsh Government to draft regulations for second set of standards – by Autumn 2015
- Begin the process of introducing regulations for the second set of standards – by the end of 2015.