We are consulting on proposals to reform devolved tribunals in Wales. Our goal is to create a unified and coherent tribunal system that will better meet the present needs of tribunal justice in Wales. It will also be adaptable to meet the future needs in Wales.
Our main proposals include:
- a statutory framework for a single, unified and coherent tribunal system. It will comprise a new First-tier Tribunal for Wales with clear and consistent onward rights of appeal to a new Appeal Tribunal for Wales
- statutory duties to uphold the independence of the new tribunal system. There will be greater structural independence for the way in which it is administered, through a new body, “Tribiwnlysoedd Cymru/Tribunals Wales”
- judicial leadership and supervision by the President of Welsh Tribunals and Chamber presidents and deputies
- clear and efficient processes for setting procedural rules for the new tribunal system, and
- consistent arrangements for appointing tribunal members. Clear processes for dealing with cross- deployment and complaints.
Integrated impact assessment , file type: PDF, file size: 314 KB
How to respond
Submit your comments by 2 October 2023, in any of the following ways:
Download the response form.
Complete and return to:
Justice Policy Division