Skip to main content

In this guide

3. The British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS)

If you are going to keep cattle, you must register with British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS) before you move any cattle on to your holding.

The British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS):

  • maintains the Cattle Tracing System (CTS) database
  • issues cattle passports
  • processes information received about cattle births, movements and deaths
  • answers enquiries from cattle keepers

How to register with BCMS

Contact BCMS on Defra.Gov.UK and tell them that you are going to keep cattle. You will need to provide your CPH and address of your holding. They will register your details and send you:

  • a letter of confirmation that your holding is registered on CTS
  • a letter with a reference number to use for you to enrol with CTS Online on Defra.Gov.UK and a password in order to use approved farm software using CTS Web Services
  • your barcode labels

You can contact BCMS online or by phone on:

All communications with BCMS can be carried out in Welsh or English.

Agent access

You can appoint an agent to act on your behalf, this can include authorising them to use the Cattle Tracing System online service on your behalf. They will need to register as an agent with BCMS, before they can use the CTS Online service to report births, deaths and movements on your behalf.

Further guidance on agents access can be found on the BCMS website.

Changes ahead - EIDCymru

EIDCymru is being developed into the new Welsh multispecies livestock traceability system and service. This involves the transition of all Welsh keepers and premises handling cattle in Wales to EIDCymru from the British Cattle Movement Service (BCMS). This includes the Cattle Tracing System (CTS). Further details can be found at EIDCymru Multispecies system and service developments.