Skip to main content

Financial support and advice to help you with your utility bills.

First published:
18 November 2022
Last updated:

Gas and electricity

Difficulty paying for your energy

If you are struggling with energy costs, contact your energy supplier. You may be able to get help from them.

Energy efficiency

Get help with energy efficiency in your home from Nest

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The UK Government is changing the Warm Home Discount Scheme. The scheme will give a £150 rebate to eligible households.

Find out more about the Warm Home Discount Scheme on GOV.UK

Winter Fuel Payment

The Winter Fuel Payment is an annual one-off payment to help you pay for heating during the winter. You can usually get a Winter Fuel Payment if you were born on or before 26 September 1955.

Check how much Winter Fuel Payment you can get and how to claim it on GOV.UK.

Cold Weather Payments

Cold Weather Payments are one-off payments to help you pay for extra heating costs when it’s very cold.

You’ll get a payment each time the temperature drops below a specific temperature for a set period of time.

You’ll only be eligible for a Cold Weather Payment if you already get:

  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Universal Credit

If you're eligible, you'll get paid automatically. 

Find out more about Cold Weather Payments on GOV.UK.

Alternative fuels for heating

You may be eligible for a £200 Alternative Fuels Payment (AFP) if your household is not connected to the mains gas grid and you use alternative fuels as your main form of heating.

Most eligible households will automatically get an AFP payment.

Apply for alternative fuel bill support if you did not get it automatically.

Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF)

In certain circumstances you may be eligible to a grant from the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF).

Find out more about the Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF).

Water bills

If you are having difficulty paying your water bill, you should contact your supplier immediately.

Dŵr Cymru / Welsh Water, have outlined the support they can provide. Support includes payment plans and water rate reductions.

Hafren Dyfrdwy can support its customers in a similar way.

Broadband and mobile phones

If you are concerned about paying your broadband or mobile bill, you should contact your supplier immediately. They may be able to put a payment plan or other support in place to help you stay connected.

Find out more about cheaper broadband and phone packages on