Skip to main content

How you can help and support the people of Ukraine.

First published:
3 March 2022
Last updated:


The Russian attack on Ukraine has caused the displacement of many tens of thousands of Ukrainian people from their homes and marked the onset of what could be the largest humanitarian crisis in Europe for decades.

We stand in support of the Ukrainian people who are bravely resisting this unprovoked and brutal act of war.

We understand that many people in Wales will want to do all they can to help them in their hour of need.

With many logistical routes closed and transportation systems under significant pressure, sending physical goods could add more stress to the situation on the ground.

Financial donations

Making cash donations, to organisations responding to the crisis in Ukraine, allows for emergency relief goods to be sourced locally.

You can help by donating money to the following charities:

Offer a home to refugees from Ukraine already in Wales

We still need safe, suitable homes for the many individuals, couples and families from Ukraine who have arrived in Wales and are currently living in temporary accommodation.

You can help by offering a place to stay in your home or a property you own.

Sponsor someone in Ukraine to come to the UK

UK Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme enables people in the UK to sponsor a visa for someone you know in Ukraine to come and live in the UK. 

You must be able to provide safe and suitable accommodation for them for 6 months or more.

Find out more and record your interest in Homes for Ukraine (on GOV.UK).

If you do not already know someone in Ukraine to sponsor, the Homes for Ukraine Reset service can help you find the best match for your household and support you through the process. 

Once you know who you want to sponsor, you can help them apply for a visa under the Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (on GOV.UK).

Ukraine Family Scheme

The Ukraine Family Scheme is for people from Ukraine who have a family member in the UK.

It allows them to join their family members or extend their stay in the UK. It is free to apply and people will be able to live, work and study in the UK and access public funds.

If you have a family member from Ukraine they can to apply for a Ukraine Family Scheme visa (on GOV.UK).


Once the people fleeing the war are settled in local areas they may need some material items or other local support. Communities may have a role to play in this.

At the moment we are not asking for volunteers. We are working with local authorities and voluntary organisations to set up ways people can help. Once this is done we’ll contact anyone who has expressed an interest to see how they can get involved.

To register an interest please email We will share your details with partners as set out in our privacy notice.

Translation and interpretation support

If you could offer interpretation or translation for Ukrainians please register your interest on the Wales Interpretation and Translation Service website.

Register a business or organisation to help

If you are able to offer help as a business or an organisation, we need you to tell us about the help you can give.

Offering jobs

Find out how your business can offer a job or placement to those coming from Ukraine (on Business Wales).

Find information about employing people from Ukraine, including access to education and training.

Find information about employing people from Ukraine in social care.

Helplines and support

Sponsors in Wales can call the free helpline on 0808 175 1508 for advice. The Contact Centre operates a helpline and tracking service from 09:00 to 17:00, Monday to Friday.

For Ukrainian nationals and their families:

For anyone affected by the situation in Ukraine you can contact the CALL (Community Advice & Listening Line) Mental Health helpline. It is available 24 hours a day to listen and provide support. Call 0800 132737 or text ‘Help’ to 81066.