Skip to main content

1. I want to change a residential building or land into a shop

Planning permission would be required for such a material change of use as the proposed new use is a different use class within the planning system.

The majority of local authorities have designated shopping or commercial areas within their planning policies where they may consider such a change of use suitable. It is likely to be very difficult to gain permission outside these areas such as in a wholly residential area.

While permission is not required before work starts, if permission is refused the work will have to be undone and the authority may take formal enforcement action over a change of use without planning permission.

You may also require the consent of the landlord or landowner.

Read the guidance on the use classes within planning.