Statistics on schools, teachers and pupils include data for local authorities and Wales at January 2018.
- Overall, there were 26 fewer local authority maintained schools than at January 2017. This is mainly due to school mergers.
- There were 604 more pupils (467,112) in local authority maintained schools than at January 2017.
- The percentage of pupils aged 5-15 known to be eligible for free meals has decreased from 17.8% in January 2017 to 17.4% in January 2018.
- There were 23,871 full-time equivalent qualified teachers in maintained schools, 39 fewer than at January 2017.
- 8.1% of pupils (8,695) were in infant classes of over 30 pupils, down from 8.2% (8,794) in January 2017.
- 61% of teachers took sickness absence during 2017, compared to 63% in 2016.
School census results, 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 796 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 5060
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.