Skip to main content

3. Part-time undergraduates

Eligible first time undergraduates who study part-time in academic year 2024 to 2025 are able to apply for support for living costs on a pro-rata basis. The support is a combination of grants (Maintenance Grant) and loans (Maintenance Loan), similar to full-time students.

If you meet the eligibility criteria and your course starts on or after 1 August 2018 the amount of grant and loan you get will depend on the intensity of your course and your household income. The figures below are a guide to new part-time students only and show the maximum amounts you could get.

In most cases it’s easy to identify if you are a new or continuing student but there may be circumstances based on your previous learning that could have a bearing on what and how you apply. If you’re unsure whether you qualify as a new or continuing student, check your status with your University or Student Finance Wales.

You must be studying at a course intensity of at least 25% to get a part-time grant and loan for living costs and to apply for a part-time tuition fee loan. Students studying with the Open University in Wales must apply for part-time support, regardless of intensity of study.

The figures in the table are for illustrative purposes.

Course intensityHousehold incomeMaintenance GrantMaintenance LoanTotal
25%£25,000 or less£1,500£741£2,241
25%£59,200 or more£250£1,991£2,241
50%£25,000 or less£3,000£1,483£4,483
50%£59,200 or more£500£3,983£4,483
75% or more£25,000 or less£4,500£2,224£6,724
75% or more£45,000£2,308£4,416£6,724
75% or more£59,200 or more£750£5,974£6,724

The amount of grant is based on a full-time equivalent of £6,000, reduced by £1 for every additional £6.84 of income above £25,000, and prorated by intensity of study.

Student Finance Wales will work out how much Maintenance Grant you could get first and what’s left will be awarded as a Maintenance Loan. Your grant and loan will be paid directly into your bank account once you have registered on your course and your attendance has been confirmed by your university or college each term.

Tuition Fee Loan: under the new support package, eligible part-time students studying at a course intensity of at least 25% can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan to help cover the costs of their tuition fee. Your Tuition Fee Loan is paid in 3 instalments directly to your university or college once your attendance is confirmed.

Your study locationTuition Fee Loan available
If you're at a Welsh university or college or studying at the Open University£2,625
If you're at a UK university or college outside Wales£6,935
If you're at a privately funded UK university or college outside Wales£4,625

Most students won’t have to pay anything upfront for their course. If your university or college is charging more than the Tuition Fee Loan available you’ll have to fund the difference yourself (this may be the case for a privately funded university or college).

For information about funding for the 2023 to 2024 academic year visit Student Finance Wales.

Students who began their course before August 2018 will continue to receive the student support package they currently get.

Remember grants usually don’t have to be paid back but loans including interest will. You can get more information on repayment and what interest you’ll be charged by visiting the loan repayment website.

In addition to living costs and tuition fee support you could get the following support if studying at an intensity of 25% or more:

Childcare Grant: you could receive a Childcare Grant as a contribution towards the cost of your childcare if you have children in registered or approved childcare. You won’t qualify for this grant if either you or your partner claims the child element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit, Childcare Allowance from the NHS or Tax-Free Childcare from HMRC. The amount of grant you will receive will depend on the intensity of your course and household income, up to the available maximum part-time amounts.

Parents’ Learning Allowance: you could receive help with course-related costs if you have a dependent child or children. The maximum amount you could get is £1,914 per year but this will depend on your household income and course intensity.

Adult Dependants’ Grant: you may be eligible to be considered for an Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have a partner or another adult who is financially dependent on you. The maximum amount you could get is £3,353 per year but this will depend on your household income and course intensity.

Disabled Students’ Grants are also available to support you during your part-time course. You must be studying at an intensity of 25% of more for this grant.

Further information about support is available on the Student Finance Wales website.

Follow Student Finance Wales on Twitter and Facebook for the latest updates.

Bursaries and scholarships: some universities and colleges may offer discretionary bursaries or scholarships. You can talk to your Student Support Service to see what additional financial help may be available to you. If you’re on a course which leads to a qualification in medicine, dentistry or healthcare then you might be able to get a bursary from the National Health Service (NHS). Visit the Student Award Services website to find out further information.

All figures are subject to regulations being made.