Information on the characteristics and attributes of children receiving care and support as at 31 March 2019.
- There were 16,421 children receiving care and support included in the Children Receiving Care and Support Census at 31 March 2019. This was a rate of 261 per 10,000 children aged under 18 years. Of these, 6,677 (41%) were looked after children and 2,214 (13%) were on the Child Protection Register.
- 9,091 (55%) were boys and 7,330 (45%) were girls.
- Just over a fifth (22%) of children receiving care and support were disabled.
- Parental mental ill health was recorded as a capacity factor present for just over a third (35%) of children receiving care and support.
- The attainment of children receiving care and support at the Foundation Phase and each Key Stage assessment was much lower than the average for all pupils in Wales.
Wales Children Receiving Care and Support Census, as at 31 March 2019 (experimental statistics) , file type: PDF, file size: 1 MB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 0058
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.