Information on students with some teaching through Welsh and academic staff who are able to teach through Welsh for September 2020 to August 2021.
- The number of students at Higher Education Institutions with some learning through Welsh increased from 5,635 in 2019/20 to 6,940 in 2020/21. In 2020/21, 5% of all enrolments had some teaching in Welsh.
- Education and teaching modules had the highest number of students studying some credits in Welsh with 1,315.
- 30% of Welsh domicile students in Wales who consider themselves fluent in Welsh were studying part of their degree through Welsh. 8% of fluent Welsh speakers were studying mainly through Welsh (120 credits in Welsh).
- The number of academic staff able to teach in Welsh at Welsh Higher Education Institutions (excluding the Open University) has decreased by 7% compared to 2019/20.
- The number of staff actually teaching in Welsh at Welsh Higher Education Institutions (excluding the Open University) has decreased by 4% since 2019/20.
Welsh language in higher education, September 2020 to August 2021 , file type: PDF, file size: 684 KB
Welsh language in higher education, September 2020 to August 2021: infographic , file type: PDF, file size: 493 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.