Information on the aggregate of employees, the self employed and government supported trainees at a broad industrial level for 2018.
This is not the latest release in the series: Workplace employment by industry
This report is based on data from three different sources and provides estimates of workplace employment (or total jobs) in Wales.
- In 2018 workplace employment in Wales was 1.45 million. This is the highest level since the series began.
- Between 2017 and 2018 total workplace employment in Wales increased by 28,000 (2.0%). The corresponding UK figure increased by 0.7% over the same period.
- This represents an acceleration in growth in Wales following a few years in which the UK grew faster.
Compared with the UK
- Employment in Wales was proportionately higher in the public administration, defence, education & health sector (which is not the same as the public sector); the production sector; and the agriculture, forestry & fishing sector.
- Employment in Wales was proportionately lower in the wholesale, retail, transport, hotels & food sector and the finance & business activities sector. It was similar to the UK in the other industries sector.
There is substantial variation between industries at the local authority level in Wales.
Workplace employment by industry, 2001 to 2018 , file type: PDF, file size: 515 KB
Datasets and interactive tools
Telephone: 0300 025 9016
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau a gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls and correspondence in Welsh.
Telephone: 0300 025 8099
Rydym yn croesawu galwadau yn Gymraeg / We welcome calls in Welsh.