Skip to main content

2. Low income households

If your household is on a low income, you could receive support towards some or all of your Council Tax bill through the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

If you are receiving the benefits below, you can make an application to have your entitlement assessed and applied to your council tax bill:  

  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Income Support  

If it has not been applied to your bill, you should contact your local authority's Council Tax department.

Anyone eligible for the benefits above, regardless of whether they are receiving them or not is entitled to receive support towards their Council Tax bill.

You may also be able to get support even if you are not eligible for the above benefits.

To work out if you're entitled to a reduction and how much it would be, your local authority will look at your weekly income as well as if you have any capital. Capital includes savings and property you own.

How much of a reduction you are entitled to also depends on whether you are of working age or a pensioner.

You are not eligible to a reduction if you are:

  • aged under 65 and have capital of £16,000 or more
  • aged over 65 and have capital of £16,000 or more (unless you or your partner gets the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit)

Universal Credit

If you currently receive or are about to be migrated to Universal Credit, you should contact your local authority to make sure they assess you for a reduction to your council tax.

If you think you may be eligible you should contact your local authority Council Tax department.