Skip to main content

4. Students

If you are a student, you are exempt from paying Council Tax if you live:

  • in a flat, house or bedsit on your own
  • in a flat, house or bedsit with other students only
  • in a room in halls of residence

If you meet the above conditions, the property will still be exempt from council tax if you leave it unoccupied e.g. out of term time. Providing the property was occupied for at least 6 weeks, this exemption period can last for up to four months from the end of when the property was last occupied.

If you live with someone who is not a student you will not be counted towards the Council Tax bill for the property.

If you think you may be eligible you should contact your local authority Council Tax department.

To be considered a full-time student:

Your course must:

  • last at least 1 year
  • involve at least 21 hours study per week


You must be under 20 and studying for a qualification up to A level and your course must

  • last at least 3 months
  • involve at least 12 hours study per week


You are an international student who is:

  • not a British citizen
  • prevented by immigration from taking paid employment or from claiming benefits whilst in the UK