Skip to main content

2. Eligibility

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

To get a grant, you must:

  • be in extreme financial hardship, for example you've lost your job, applied for benefits and waiting for your first payment or have no money to buy food, gas and electricity
  • be in a crisis situation and in need of immediate financial support
  • live in Wales
  • be over 16
  • have no other money for example savings, and considered all other legal and responsible lenders such as credit unions

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

You can only apply for a fridge, cooker or washing machine (white goods) and furniture through an approved partner.

You must:

  • live in Wales
  • be over 16
  • have no access to other money and tried all other affordable sources of funding for example credit union
  • not be living in a care home (unless being discharged in 6 weeks)
  • not be in prison (unless being discharged in 6 weeks)
  • not be a member of a fully maintained religious order

You must be getting one of the following:

  • Income Support
  • income based Jobseekers Allowance
  • income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guaranteed Credit element of Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit (must have standard/personal allowance)

You must meet one of the following:

  • you are leaving a care home or institution (hospital, prison or  foster carer) after 3 months (minimum) to live independently
  • you want to stay living in the community rather than having to go into an institution (hospital or care home)
  • you are setting up home after an unsettled way of life
  • you need to move home quickly due to a relationship breakdown or domestic violence
  • you are going to care for a prisoner or young offender released on a temporary license